Thursday, May 22, 2014

Dever Langholf, Sr ~ B26 Pilot and My Grandfather

With Memorial Day approaching here in the United States this weekend, my thoughts of course turn to my grandfather, Dever Langholf, and his service in the U.S. Army Air Corps during World War II as a B-26 bomber pilot.  Though he is still alive, thankfully, his service shaped my father's view on the military.  He also went on to serve in the Army and the Air Force which means I was privileged to grow up as a military brat which in turn has shaped my view on the world. 

One of the coolest things I discovered about my grandpa, from his Pilot's Log, is that the very first time he flew a B-26, was on his 21st birthday, 7 June 1944, the day after D-Day.  What a way to celebrate, right?

I also came across several pictures of him in uniform that I love and, naturally, want to share! :)









I'd like to take a moment to thank and remember all those brave men and women who have fought in the service of our country to protect the freedoms we hold dear!

3 comments:

  1. A great collection of photos! I can't imagine flying one of those planes at 21 - but maybe I was a late bloomer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures. I would love to have a find like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eowyn this is really cool:D And your grandpa face is flawless!

    ReplyDelete